Monday, June 15, 2009

Collecting Antique Watches....

I can’t sleep tonight again. I guess it must be the red wine that I had with the Bak Kwa just now. Best fusion between the West meeting the East… you must try it someday. But make sure you must “mix” it with a good audiophile CD.

I thought of writing the advantages of collecting antique watches today. I was inspired by a good friend who saw the antique Rolex president..

First of all, I think a collector for antique watches is mainly driven by the following factors or collecting antique watches has following advantages:
1. Collect for the interest.
2. For a secure price guarantee instead of putting in a bank. Just like grandmother keeping money in a milo tin. She dun care if the stock market crashes or not tomorrow. All she does is when she need money, she takes the money out from the tin.
3. Collect for the price appreciation or profit.
4. To hand down from generation to generation i.e you never own a “P”, you merely look after it for the new generation!

People collect antique watch because of different reasons as stated above. In my view, before I start buying any antique piece that I think it may worth collecting, the antique piece must meet these requirements:
1. The piece must have a tradition. It holds traditional scheduling craft and it commends the same level of high quality work by first-class skilled worker on the piece. Be it previously or now. The piece must also use the best material.
2. The piece holds the same appearance which leaves the plant originally. It cannot be re-conditioned or re-dialed.
3. With proper care and servicing, the piece must maintain the time accuracy and the components integrity.
4. The watch receives work experts’ recognition. The watch precise mechanism design can be used for several hundred years and it could pass on from generation to generation.

As time dissipates heartlessly, let the antique watch which you hold appreciatively follow you. Let the watch follow your yester years and your present emotion, at the same time, recording your life faithfully.

For me, I am keeping two for my two kids. I had one from my grandfather and it’s an antique citizen watch. I spent few hundred to do up the watch. When my watch tech asked why I am spending so much to do it up since it only cost $50 to get a new one. I just replied this antique citizen is priceless.